The Russian Olympic torchbearer catches fire? Really? Damn, if it wasn’t for bad luck, the Russian Olympic Movement wouldn’t have any luck at all. This latest Russian Olympic Snafu Moment is brought to you from Siberia, where else?
It’s actually in a city called Abakan where the torch was passing thought courtesy of former Olympic bobsledder Pyotr Makarchuk. He’s running through town, at night, seemingly very happy to be part of this leg of the torch relay. The torch is burning brightly and then, suddenly, so is his jacket! It catches fire and Makarchuk seems to not notice. Then people rush to put it out and all is good. No injuries, except to maybe his ego and Russian pride. Seems faulty craftsmanship is to blame. Gas apparently leaked from the torch onto the runner’s jacket and poof! fire!
You see, this is just another incident in a number of embarrassing moments for the Russians as they prepare to host the Olympic Winter Games next February. In fact, the torch has gone out many times. There was one really embarrassing moment when the torch when out just minutes after President Vladimir Putin handed it off in Red Square back in October.
The Russians are conducting the longest torch relay, ever, before a Winter Olympics. The torch has even gone into space on a space walk as part of a four-month, 40,000 mile journey that will end at the opening ceremony in Sochi on February 7, hopefully without any more incidents.
Personally, the space video below looks like it was done on a soundstage with a green screen. Gravity anyone?